[Osmf-talk] Reinvigorating working groups. Join in!

Milo van der Linden milo at dogodigi.net
Tue Dec 9 09:19:01 UTC 2014

Hello Gregory,

I totally agree with you and am/was interested. I am also a bit sad that
past efforts haven't been able to get this up and running already. It isn't
at all that hard to define. It just requires a lot of work and the
person(s) taking this on need to be able to set aside his/her/their
personal goals to make the OSMF reach the bigger goal, getting a solid
mechanism for sponsoring up and running that is trusted by the community
and by (potential) sponsors.

In 2011 I intended to volunteer as an intermediate to other working groups
to periodically ask them for their budgetting needs and merge this into a
OSMF budgetting plan in order to contact potential sponsors. All in full
transparency. But I never got that far.

As entrepeneur I have a large network of geospatial companies, direct lines
with OSGeo and a global network of people outside OSM and the OSMF and I
was thinking this might be of use.

The reason I stopped with SWG:

In january 2011 I volunteered to set up budgeting guidelines:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/strategic/2011-January/000194.html
These guidelines where then discussed, as I tried to shape them into
consensus with the working group. Then others decided they could do better:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/strategic/2011-February/000253.html
which really pissed me of as I ahd put in a lot of effort. So I responded
with
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/strategic/2011-February/000257.html
and
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/strategic/2011-February/000258.html
and left SWG.

I would like to help ignite this spark again.

Kind regards,

Milo van der Linden