[Osmf-talk] OSMF Members Request for a General Meeting

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 20:10:56 UTC 2014

On 10 November 2014 16:00, Gregory <sotm at livingwithdragons.com> wrote:

> I think it is strange that we are calling for an EGM (Extraordinary General
> Meeting). The AGM just about works because OSMF members are often at the
> SotM conference and it is mainly for the benefit of a vote(s) which can be
> done remotely (indeed the campaigning is done online without candidate
> speeches in person).
> How does an EGM work and what benefit will it bring?

I'm sure Simon Poole will jump in at some point and re-iterate that
there is no distinction between AGMs and EGMs any more in either law
or in the OSMF. There are simply General Meetings, which can be called
either by the Board or by the Members at any time.

I suspect this year will be the last time we have a General Meeting at
SotM. There's no advantage to doing so, since only a small fraction of
the members are in attendance and all the voting is now set up to work
online. Shifting General Meetings around to match the conference is
also a pain for things like financial reporting.

> What country/location should be chosen?

I suspect it'll work best if it's somewhere lots of board members can
make. But beyond that, we can hold it online.

> If we don't have quorum present then what was the purpose of calling the
> EGM?

Quorum is so low (15 persons) that it's likely to happen. Doubly so if
people voting prior to the meeting count towards the quorum, but I'm
not sure about that.

> If we do have quorum present then are they prevented from making intense
> discussions (what is to stop them passing a motion to reboot the board
> rather than just passing a motion for an election on rebooting)?

Only resolutions and special resolutions that are in the notice of the
meeting can be voted on. So there's nothing that can be sneaked in at
the meeting itself.

> What kind of biases exist for the beliefs of those present against those
> unable to attend?

Since you can vote even if you don't attend, that's not so much of a problem.

Of course, I could be wrong on the above, so people can feel free to correct me!

Thanks,
Andy