[Osmf-talk] Running

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Oct 23 17:20:45 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 10/23/2014 04:57 PM, steve at asklater.com wrote:
> No more pretending everything is wonderful.

[...]

> I think it's a real shame that Henk wasn't supported in his SOTM work
> this year.

I'm surprised that you would say that. Were you present in the (several)
board meetings where Henk either refused or neglected to let the rest of
the board in on the current state of planning? We had SOTM on the agenda
more than once and Henk certainly did not ask for help.

I know that Henk put in lots of hours in SotM and I refrained from
pointing a finger but if you really intend to start looking for what
went wrong then SOTM has "Communication Failure" written in red,
flashing letters across page one. And this didn't start with Buenos
Aires, it is something that has always been there - one person at the
centre not allowing anyone else to peek in their books. This works as
long as it works but if that one person then becomes dragged under with
other stuff, you've set yourself up for failure because you aren't
*allowing* other people to support you.

I know you're a fan of Henk's. Remember the F2F dinner in Berlin where
you said that SOTM wouldn't be going anywhere without Henk, and I said
that's precisely the problem? Things haven't changed, SOTM is still a
one-man show by design.

What is a shame is not that Henk wasn't supported but that there's not
even a setup that would let anyone give support. You know that perfectly
well but still you write ominous lines like the ones I quoted above,
pointing a finger at god-knows-whom (whoever it was who should have lent
support I guess). Not pretending everything is wonderful is a good step
ahead. Not pretending everything is someone else's fault would also be
welcome.

Bye
Frederik