[Osmf-talk] Running

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 22:31:29 UTC 2014

Hello,

I by no means know all of the details of what Steve's various
initiatives and even less so any personal interactions that might have
lead to hostility or misunderstandings.

But I would like to understand a bit more of why you would consider his
initiatives as (hostilely) competitive.

Again, with the (perceived) drive to keep OSMF as minimal as possible
and only focus on core mappers, it leaves a lot of room for other
organizations to take over important roles. My (personal) impression has
been that when ever you suggest some initiative or project the "default
response" of the OSMF is, that that is outside of the scope of the OSMF
and go and do it your self and organize your own resources to do it
with. This sounds like exactly what Steve has done. There is undoubtedly
a need for OSM as a whole to engage the business community and give a
platform for the commercial and business side to work together, express
their opinions and desires and fine solutions that work for them within
the constraints of the license and general community centric mapping of OSM.

Given that OSMF in the past has repeatedly expressed the view that they
aren't the appropriate venue for that, and if I am not mistaken
Frederik, you hold that view rather strongly your self, I don't see why
Steve's initiatives would perse be considered competition rather than
complementary.

Now this extreme minimalistic and libertarian view of OSM(F) no doubt
also has its merits, but then the OSMF has to find ways to
constructively work with the various private / commercial or other
organizations that spring into life to fulfill the void that OSMF
deliberately leaves.

Kai