[Osmf-talk] The role of face-to-face meetings in the future of the OSMF board

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Oct 27 15:55:26 UTC 2014

Am 27.10.2014 15:42, schrieb Kate Chapman:
> ..................................... This doesn't mean we just
> fundraise and spend for the sake of it, but we don't need to be afraid
> of taking on large projects. For example we had downtime this weekend,
> according to a tweet from the OSM Tech team to add redundancy so that
> wouldn't happen would cost $150k. Why don't we aspire to do that?

To put this in the correct perspective: the OSMF raised a significant
amount of money for improving redundancy over the last couple of years
and in general AFAIK never has not agreed to financing a plan proposed
by the OWG. With other words if the OWG would have asked for another
$150k they would have got it.

Likely the better way of understanding the tweet would have been: "do
you think spending $150k to avoid a very short outage is worth it?"

It is not news that our admins are -very- cost aware bordering on
stingy, but in the end they and the OWG have to make the plans they can
stand behind and make the trade-offs they feel are responsible.

Simon