[Osmf-talk] The role of face-to-face meetings in the future of the OSMF board

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Mon Oct 27 22:08:25 UTC 2014

On 27/10/2014 17:21, Joseph Reeves wrote:
> I want the OSMF to be doing big, exciting and inspiring things. OSMF
> should be ran by the best people from the OSM community, and they
> should be hiring great members of staff to fill the gaps that
> volunteers can't. OSMF should be getting huge amounts of funding and
> doing great stuff with it. A map that anyone can edit was a pretty
> mind blowing idea, please continue with the innovation; I have enjoyed
> reading Steve's call for "try new things" (full disclosure: I have one
> of his GPS prints hanging on my wall) even if I don't agree with many
> of his finer points.

I am shooting off the thread topic but I think injecting some
positive/big idea stuff is helpful in coping with our current
growing-pain pain.

There was a fantastic key note speech at SOTM EU in Karlsruhe. I think
it went over a lot of heads as he introduced many different concepts
and, well, you don't expect keynotes to be heavy-hitting thoughtful
intellectual pieces. This one was:

Dr. Dirk Helbing: Keynote: How to Create a Better World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Lphxknozc

He starts to develop a theme at 10:36 and gets to specific OSM big-ideas
at 25:40.

Mike