[Osmf-talk] The role of face-to-face meetings in the future of the OSMF board

Oliver Kühn oliver at osmfoundation.org
Tue Oct 28 17:40:14 UTC 2014

Dear Roland,

did we need to make any compromise because of the F2F meeting? Did we
have to shutdown the infrastructure for a month? Did we need to restrict
the usage of Nominatim, Taginfo or the Overpass API?

No, we did not! This bean-counter mentality does not lead to progress of
OSM or the OSMF.

We need people who spend the money. If we go fund-raising people will
ask us what we need the money for. We don't have an answer to that as we
don't need money right now. Nobodoy will give us money to fill up our
bank accounts.

We need to bring people together that jointly decide a direction, go for
this and spend the money. And spending money is a learning process: you
only know if it is well spent after it is gone.

There is no money problem in OSMF. There is a mindset problem.

Regards,
Oliver