[Osmf-talk] AGM and board elections

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Fri Sep 19 15:59:28 UTC 2014

The sex ratio for the entire world population is 101 males to 100
females http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sex_ratio

  In the worldwide Wikipedia Editor Survey 2011 of all the Wikipedias,
91% of respondents were male
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedians

In the recent study /Free Culture and the Gender Gap/
http://journals.uic.edu/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/4291/3381 Joseph
Reagle, an Assistant Professor of Communication Studies at Northeastern
University, argues that "...the ideas of freedom and openness can be
used to dismiss concerns and rationalize the gender gap as a matter of
preference and choice." He claims that women make a choice, but it is
not based at all on whether they find the project interesting or have a
contribution to make.

The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees which oversees Wikipedia
consists of five women and five men
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Board_of_Trustees . They also try
to introduce some initiatives to improve the situation.

It is an untapped resource of half the population. Women are certainly
as smart as men, and, actually, many of them are not even weaker than
men, as I know only too well personally (sigh...) from amateur running.

brgds
Oleksiy (Alex-7)