[Osmf-talk] Reaching out and diversity (Was: Re: AGM and board elections)

Kathleen Danielson kathleen.danielson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 19:32:06 UTC 2014

The thing is that it's incredibly difficult to make sure that a group isn't
"institutionally sexist" which is why conversations like this one are
needed. Yes, I agree we need to ensure that, but it's not a matter of
checking a few boxes and patting ourselves on the back. We should see that
there's a problem by the low numbers of [insert marginalized group here],
and we should want to do something about that proactively. We can't just
pass this off on conference organizers or working groups or something like
this. It needs to be a community-wide priority. I don't think it is yet,
but I'm hopeful that can change.

I am hearing a lot of people say they want things to improve, but they
don't know how. Here are some ideas:

* I would like to see widespread adoption of codes of conduct across the
community. As Mele mentioned [1], the Puppet community has a very robust
list of Community Guidelines for a wide array of forums and interactions
[2]. I would love to see us do something like this.
* Explicit, easy to find, enforceable guidelines for conversation happening
on any mailing list hosted by OSM.
* Clear expectations given to moderators in enforcing said guidelines, and
adequate support for moderators, who are often too drained to step in.
* Required Anti-harassment policies for any event billing itself as a
"State of the Map" conference. This would obviously have to be tailored to
each locality for legal reasons, but having a minimum requirement for the
type of expectations as well as the type of recourse that should be
available to all attendees, would be a great start.
* More scholarships for marginalized groups to attend SOTM conferences.
(Some conferences have started doing this, but we still need to do better.)
* People doing a better job of holding each other accountable publicly.
There are a lot of really good people in this community, but a lot of times
you stay silent when someone misbehaves. That tells me that that behavior
is tolerated. You can call people out in a gentle, but clear way. Try that.
* Prioritizing outreach to marginalized groups to join the community and to
speak at conferences.
* Programming and initiatives originating from places of leadership within
the community to provide safe, welcoming places to talk about these issues
and work on ways to improve them.

These are just some ideas, and obviously there are road blocks to each of
them. I don't expect any of them to happen overnight, and I know that some
are quite controversial. My point, though, is that we aren't powerless.
This is our community and we can make it better, but depending on the
people who are already in a disadvantaged position to be the ones to drive
change isn't helping. To those of you who are in a position of privilege,
use that privilege to make some of those things I mentioned happen.

Asides:

As you mentioned, you are blatantly trying to provoke a response, and you
know my intentions were not to belittle male caregivers. That said,
intentions don't really matter, so I apologize to any non-female caregivers
who found my comment dismissive. Here's a link explaining why the lack of
childcare at conferences disproportionately disadvantages women [3], but
obviously this can affect any parent, particularly single parents of any
gender.

You invoked the concept of a meritocracy, which is highly problematic. I
encourage you to read about why [4]. This is not something we want to
strive for because as lovely of an idea as it might sound, it is ultimately
just a way for the people who are already privileged to remain privileged.

encourage everyone to read this excellent blog post on why simply hiring
for merit isn't enough to ensure that we're eliminating systemic
discrimination [5]. It's relevant even to discussions not explicitly about
hiring.

[1] https://twitter.com/pdxmele/status/515906404440240128
[2] https://docs.puppetlabs.com/community/community_guidelines.html
[3] http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Childcare