[Osmf-talk] Reaching out and diversity (Was: Re: AGM and board elections)

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sat Sep 27 21:07:42 UTC 2014

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Kathleen Danielson <
kathleen.danielson at gmail.com> wrote:

> * I would like to see widespread adoption of codes of conduct across the
> community. As Mele mentioned [1], the Puppet community has a very robust
> list of Community Guidelines for a wide array of forums and interactions
> [2]. I would love to see us do something like this.
> * Explicit, easy to find, enforceable guidelines for conversation
> happening on any mailing list hosted by OSM.
> * Clear expectations given to moderators in enforcing said guidelines, and
> adequate support for moderators, who are often too drained to step in.
> * Required Anti-harassment policies for any event billing itself as a
> "State of the Map" conference. This would obviously have to be tailored to
> each locality for legal reasons, but having a minimum requirement for the
> type of expectations as well as the type of recourse that should be
> available to all attendees, would be a great start.
> * More scholarships for marginalized groups to attend SOTM conferences.
> (Some conferences have started doing this, but we still need to do better.)
> * People doing a better job of holding each other accountable publicly.
> There are a lot of really good people in this community, but a lot of times
> you stay silent when someone misbehaves. That tells me that that behavior
> is tolerated. You can call people out in a gentle, but clear way. Try that.
> * Prioritizing outreach to marginalized groups to join the community and
> to speak at conferences.
> * Programming and initiatives originating from places of leadership within
> the community to provide safe, welcoming places to talk about these issues
> and work on ways to improve them.

+1
Great suggestions. Kathleen has given us clear recommendations. I'd like to
suggest to the OSMF Board that these become an agenda item for an upcoming
meeting.

Kathleen - This is probably off topic for the osmf-talk list, but where
does the US Chapter stand on these recommendations?

One last comment, I'm ashamed to admit, but when we organized our 10th
Anniversary Event in Seattle, I never even thought about child care, yet we
have have a good number of women on our Meetup Group.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us