[Osmf-talk] Reaching out and diversity (Was: Re: AGM and board elections)

Derick Rethans osm at derickrethans.nl
Mon Sep 29 09:14:19 UTC 2014

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014, Simon Poole wrote:

> Am 28.09.2014 10:22, schrieb Jaak Laineste (Nutiteq):
> > My mistake, I was inaccurate - the original observation was not
> > really about having more brothels on map, but having more attention
> > to male entertainment-related tags: there are stripclubs, swingers
> > something, brothels etc, but only one kindergarten tag. Thinking
> > about OSM as a map, then this seems to be actually one of very few
> > examples where gender diversity question comes to the picture.
>
> I believe Kathleen is mistaken when she points to the childcare
> "affair" and claims that it is a running gag inside OSM. I haven't met
> anybody in the community that doesn't consider it an unfortunate
> collision of wrong expectations, a complicated subject matter with
> lots of regional differences and our general tendency to bike shed
> tagging, ending in a big mess. I'm not not discounting gender as one
> of the contributing ingredients to the mess, but it clearly wasn't the
> only one.

I'm afraid you're wrong on this one. I've heard it on several occasions
in the background as a "running gag". Because you haven't heard of it,
doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

> There is in any case no reason to believe that if a working childcare
> scheme was available that it wouldn't immediately be adopted by the
> community. Adopted == used in mapping, not necessarily approved by any
> mechanism.

That's easy to say. When none of the editors make a certain distinction
in their presets, then it makes a whole lot harder to actually use those
tags. Sure, things might be organised differently in different areas,
but it's the difference in even having available options. JOSM has
currently 2 presets for facilities where women are objectified. Why are
stripclubs and brothels even presets when there is a whole section of
education related presets missing? *This* is what needs to change.

cheers,
Derick