[Osmf-talk] Reaching out and diversity (Was: Re: AGM and board elections)

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Tue Sep 30 06:10:21 UTC 2014

I am getting late to this thread. I do want to follow Kathleen's call to
speak up. Too often we let each other hanging out there on mailing lists
quietly consenting.

The fact that women (and other groups) are starkly underrepresented in
OpenStreetMap can't be denied. We don't need proof of active discrimination
to realize there's a problem, we just need to look at attendees at
conferences. It's on all of us to change that. We should be asking
ourselves what each one of us can do to bring "other" people into
OpenStreetMap. These can be big deeds or small ones. I loved for instance
how Andrew Wiseman and others in the DC community spent a ton of their
spare time this summer to work with M.O.M.I.E.S TLC [1] on a mapping
project in Washington DC - pretty much in every aspect the opposite of
their demographics.

And here's a concrete suggestion: if you're looking for a place to help
grow OpenStreetMap and bring more diversity into the space, run for the
OpenStreetMap US board [2]. Particularly if you're a woman. Elections are
coming up fast, so get your name on the list.

[1] http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/579
[2] http://openstreetmap.us/2014/08/elections-2014/