[Osmf-talk] HOT discontent - what can we learn? Lesson learned #1 HOT US Inc and the freedom of speach in the context of the OSMF Election 2015.

nicolas chavent nicolas.chavent at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 23:19:06 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Thanks Frederik for starting this email thread.

First apologies for replying lately :
I am recovering from from 3 intense weeks in Togo building up the technical
and organizational skills of a collective of 25 mappers from Western Africa
and fostering technical training on OSM, QGIS, uMap, GeOrchestra to over 50
Togolese mappers over 10 days (blog posts on projeteof.org and rich tweets
at #projeteof)
I have therefore to cope with exhaustion and a heavy workload which
prevents me from dedicating the time I deem necessary to this Election.

I agree with your call to keep the HOT US Inc discussion related to the
2015 OSMF Board Election with the aim to
- inform the on-going vote.
- inform OSMF Boardees and members about the HOT US Inc experience in the
long run.
Your email thread and derived thematic email threads (like this one) can
help us doing.

The first lesson we are collectively learning from HOT US Inc during this
OSMF election is about freedom of speech.

The fact that the email thread "Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian
OpenStreetMap Team (HOT US Inc) in the OpenStreetMap Foundation" generated
so much traffic is indicative of some oddities at play.

As a member of both HOT US Inc and OSMF, in the context of the 2015 OSMF
Board election, following OSMF encouragements to participate to the public
campaign and doing my duty as a member of OSMF, I did use one of my basic
right (freedom of speech) and did express a simple expression shared by
many on this list and off list.

*It's not healthy to see one organization (e.g. a perspective around
OpenStreetMap) over-represented at the OSMF Board. This no matter how
well/bad this organization works. Over-representation of one OSM viewpoint
will come with under-representation of other OSM viewpoints. - OSM is rich
of its diversity and therefore diversity in OSM and at the OSMF Board has
to be actively promoted- If (or When) it comes to power, influence and the
like plus their associated risks for the OSM project, diversity at the OSMF
Board will be work as a safeguard*
The reaction of HOT US Inc has been the following:

In osmf and talk mailing lists:
1. Objecting. This is fine in a debate of ideas in the context of an
Election.
2. Expressing apologies to OSMF members on the behalf of HOT US Inc because
of the expression of an opinion which was not the one of HOT US Inc, which
has not been formulated by the way.
3. Calling for demission myself as well as any of the "hotties" expressing
this simple opinion ; this involves HOT US Inc Vice-President (Blake
Girardot) and members.

In HOT US Inc via bilateral emails, or the membership list - considered as
a public list by the HOT US Inc Board:
1. Objecting. This is fine in a debate of ideas within an organization.
2. Warning.
3. Calling for demission ; this involves HOT US Inc Vice-President (Blake
Girardot) and members.
4. Examining the HOT US Inc Code of Conduct to determine the adequate
disciplinary action ; this involves HOT US Inc President (Heather Lesson)
and the Chairpersonn (Russel Deffner).

By working this way HOT US Inc
- does not favor Freedom of speech and diversity of opinions
- reacts violently at the simple use of freedom of speech and expression of
opinions alternative to the majority ; please note that none official HOT
US Inc opinion has been officially expressed to the members, members have
to figure it out by themseleves...
- this violence in reaction intimidates HOT US Inc members and makes the
expression of one's opinion a tough task to achieve when it does not fit
the official views.

This violence is nothing new in HOT US Inc since late 2013:
- In the last two Board Elections (2014, 2015)
- This can happen in normal times as well.
I got intimidated/insulted by the HOT US Inc President (Mikel Maron) in the
course of an Activation Working Group meeting Spring 2015; Mikel Maron
received an official warning for this by the HOT US Inc Board and Chairman.

This is surely a HOT US Inc practice of internal and public debates, OSMF
Boardees and folks might not want to take for OSMF and any OSM chapter or
collectives.

Respect of diversity of OSM viewpoints at OSMF Board and defense of freedom
of speech and of opinion within OSMF shall be at the core of this 2015 OSMF
Board election and I trust OSMF members to vote accordingly.

Best,
Nicolas

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 5:35 PM, Rod Bera <rod at goarem.org> wrote:

> Hi Frederik,
>
> Sorry for replying lately, I've been off-line for the last 48 hours.
>
> Indeed in HOT we have a number skeletons in our cupboards, and no
> clean-up so far.
> Maybe this is a first reason to be cautious about letting too many
> hotties into the OSMF board, at least until things get settled.
>
> I also expressed concern about these candidacies of HOT members, as they
> don't reflect the diversity of views existing within HOT, but only that
> of a party, which appears to steer HOT without caring for minorities'
> objections or proposals.
>
> The way HOT runs as an organisation seem incompatible with the ethos of
> OSM as I stated in earlier e-mails.
>
> The danger is, would these HOT members get it onto the board of OSMF is
> to see their practices percolate into OSM.
>
> Below are the kind practices and habits I believe would be detrimental
> to OSMF, would the same gang get a majority at (or just get sufficient
> influence on) OSMF's board.
>
> 1.
> despising minorities of thought: expressing views which are different
> from the majority's, even being constructive, not a frontal opposition,
> always result in disdain to start with, and aggression when opponents
> don't back down.
> Personally the kind of objections I made so far were about more
> transparency, more collegiality, more respect towards communities,
> accountability. With an explicit argument: we pride ourselves to be part
> of the OSM odyssey, so at least we should live by OSM's standards. And
> if we believe we are "better" because of our commitment to humanitarian
> issues, then rise these standards accordingly, especially on the humane
> side.
> This kind of objection is enough to get marginalised. I am not alone in
> this case, and relatively preserved from retaliation so far when
> compared to some.
>
> Why would this be bad for OSM?
> OSM is made of diversity, and every idea expressed to push OSM forward
> is welcome. Not certain having people who simply can't hear a different
> sound would be an asset for OSM.
>
> 2.
> Despising/ignoring local communities, in Africa and elsewhere "not in
> the North". Many actions (training, mapping, crisis response,
> innovation) have been successful in Haiti or Africa, despite no support
> from HOT US inc.
> Training and mapping in Haiti, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Mali, Togo, Cote
> d'ivoire, etc. Long lasting activations (esp. Ebola, with invaluable
> insight from African collectives, with a lot of work mapping as well as
> reviewing what context-ignorant westerners could infer and put into the
> DB.), innovation with the use of drone imagery in Haiti or SDIs to
> disseminate OSM data.
> All these actions were built to have a long-lasting effect on-field
> [...]

Nicolas Chavent
Projet OpenStreetMap (OSM)
Projet Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT)
Projet Espace OSM Francophone (EOF)
Mobile (FRA): +33 (0)6 52 40 78 20
Mobile (CIV): +225 78 12 76 99
<nicolas.chavent at hotosm.org>