[Osmf-talk] 2015 AGM results

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Wed Dec 16 18:06:39 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 15 December 2015, Paul Norman wrote:

> For the curious, Richard Weait has posted an analysis at
> http://weait.com/osmf-board-election-results-2015. For formalities
> sake, I am noting that I am not certifying his analysis as accurate.
>
> The main result of his analysis is that there is a big gap between
> first-choice votes for the four candidates who got in and the others.

Yes, from an STV point of view this seems to have been a pretty boring
election - the order of candidates did not change during the different
rounds and vote transfer was fairly uniform.

I tried to analyze the numbers in terms of voting patterns a bit looking
at how the top four choices differed between voters depending on which
of the four elected candidates they placed on top (which the vast
majority of voters did).  Note this is pretty much trying to read tea
leaves so be careful with interpreting too much in it, especially when
there are only a few votes.

I think i can make two observations based on this:

* Peter and Mikel seem to have been the most contrasting candidates of
those elected.  Among the 55 who voted Peter on position 1 only 9
placed Mikel among the top four and among the 47 who voted Mikel on
position 1 only 10 also chose Peter among the top four.  This is not
really astonishing given that in the manifestos and campains the
positions of those two were fairly different.

* The other observation is that apparently the most popular candidate
not elected, Wille Marcel, was significantly more popular among those
who had Ilya and Peter as first choice (33 and 31 had him among the top
four) than among those giving preference for Mikel or Martijn (only 9
and 17)

Here are the numbers (that is how many voters with either Ilya, Peter,
Mikel or Martijn on top of their list voted for each of the candidates
at 2nd, 3rd and 4th position and combined):

Ilya (55):

Peter  18+11+9 = 38
Guido  0+1+1 = 2
Mikel  12+8+6 = 26