[Osmf-talk] Hiring help for OSMF administrative tasks

Ben Abelshausen ben.abelshausen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 08:17:58 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 11:31 PM, Henk Hoff <toffehoff at gmail.com> wrote:

> Keep them coming :-)  We appreciate your input.

I completely understand the need for payed help to do administrative work
and trust the board when they say it would be a good step to hire someone.

Withing the OSM Belgium working group, as part of OKFN Belgium, we have one
person who is dedicated to the organization and helps the volunteers (us)
when we need him.

It is great to have someone to fall back on and to have someone that takes
care of stuff that you would never get to doing when volunteering. I'm
thinking for example about rethinking and optimizing the way we
write/send/receive invoices, manage sponsors and write all the documents
needed, evaluating the financial situation of a project/event, spell check
blogposts, give feedback on communication, keep volunteers awake when there
are deadlines, ...

What is also very important is to have someone who works without the
constraints of being a volunteer (and the time constraints that come with
it). Someone that is there to always keep an eye on things, to reply to
email, even when it's just 'we will get back to you after I consult this or
that person' someone to respond and manage small things on a daily basis.

Without this person we would be a lot less effective at what we do!

Cheers,

Ben