[Osmf-talk] Hiring help for OSMF administrative tasks

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Mar 12 19:43:59 UTC 2015

Am 12.03.2015 um 18:39 schrieb Randy Meech:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 12:32 PM, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch
> <mailto:simon at poole.ch>> wrote:
>
>     Back to your topic, it is actually a bit of mis-characterisation to say
>     that nobody is employed in OSM. There is a large number of companies in
>     the the OSM eco-system which all tend to have paid staff and which
>     contribute to various aspects of running the project. Matter fact all
>     except one of the current board members are employed by companies that
>     have some relationship with OSM, if not derive their income directly
>     from it.
>

> To me, the presence of an ecosystem of companies doing work like this is
> an argument for the organization to do more of this work itself. That
> way it could be overseen by the board and foundation, and everyone could
> (theoretically) agree on the work to be done. Otherwise it's up to the
> differing motivations of multiple companies, their backers, etc. This
> will become a less comfortable place to be in over the next few years.

Well there are a lot of differing opinions on this. From doing a
wikipedia and wiping out the ecosystem (which might be what scales best
and is easiest to finance), to maintaining the current model and a lot
of stuff in between.

Naturally the added complexity is that the OSMF itself becomes more
valuable with more power in OSM, with the corresponding political
consequences.

I don't believe there is any clear consensus on which route to follow.

Simon