[Osmf-talk] Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT US Inc) in the OpenStreetMap Foundation

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Wed Nov 25 00:49:27 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I'd like to make a few clarifications regarding what was stated:

HOT is a non-profit corporation which is an incorporation type in the
United States and is registered as a 501c3 with the Internal Revenue
Service which makes it a tax-exempt public charity.

While I was serving as Executive Director of HOT and was on the Board of
the OSMF there was one time where the OSMF and HOT had business. I recused
myself from discussions on BOTH sides, I actually don't know what the
result was of those discussions between HOT and the OSMF at all. Currently
my relationship to HOT is I'm a member (it is a membership organization),
the only volunteering I've done since I left in April is answer questions
when posed to me and nominate a candidate to HOT for membership. Typically
when people leave a job it is not still considered that a conflict of
interest might rise regarding their previous position. If the OSMF and the
Cadasta Foundation where to ever have discussions (I can't think of a
reason why they would) then I would recuse myself (I'm employed by Cadasta
and on the Board of Directors of the organization).

I think the rest of the OSMF Board who I have served with this year can
speak to the fact that I've never been "representing" HOT while serving the
OSMF. Do I draw on my experiences learned in HOT and does it benefit the
OSMF? I think yes, but leave that for others to decide.

What Nicolas also neglected to mention is he co-founded HOT, is a former
board member and is currently a member of the organization. A couple years
ago a disagreement arose over the direction of the organization which
appears to be spilling into the OSMF.

Thanks,

-Kate