[Osmf-talk] Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT US Inc) in the OpenStreetMap Foundation

nicolas chavent nicolas.chavent at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 19:13:17 UTC 2015

Hi all,

In this email [Balancing the presence of the US NGO HOT US Inc within
OSMF], I shared my concern about a possible over-representation of HOT
US Inc organization viewpoint over OpenStreetMap at the OSMF Board, a
consequent shrinking of diversity and an change in terms of checks and
balances beneficial for HOT US Inc and detrimental for other OSM
viewpoints.

I did so in the context of the OSMF Board election, on the right
places for discussion for this election (the osmf, osm and hot mailing
lists) as per the OSMF election calendar and as encouraged to do so
like any OSMF members by the very same Foundation.

Those views are mine, they have been forged over the last 7/8 years
through my experiences as :
- a cofounder of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) project
which started as an OSM informal collective,
- a co-founder of the US NGO HOT US Inc, the first legal body of the
HOT Project which works as a mix of an association (playing de facto
the rôle of an OSMF chapter for the humanitarian action and
development aid sectors as well as a support-providing entity for
local OSM groups)
- a Project Manager and then the Operations Director of HOT US Inc in
charge of HOT US Inc field work in Haiti (2010-2013) and Western
Africa (2012-2013)
- a Board Member of HOT US Inc Aug 2010 – March 2014

As pointed out by Severin, and as noticed by some people on the
osmf-talk mailing list, the simple public expression of this concern
in this time of election triggered condemnations by Blake Girardot and
Kate Chapman both members of HOT US Inc.

On the HOT US Inc's members mailing list, this simple expression of a
different view point over the running of 3 members of the organization
triggered :
- similar condamnations
- the HOT US Inc President (Heather Lesson) announcing that as next
steps action on that matter, the HOT US Inc Code Of Conduct might be
use to determine disciplinary actions towards those who did share the
same concern that I have.

This is just an example of how HOT US Inc internally can deal with
diversity of opinions and is one of the reasons why I, like others
inside HOT US Inc, do think that it's important for OSMF voting
members to think about balancing the HOT US Inc presence within the
OSMF Board prior casting their ballots in the coming hours and days

Best,
Nicolas

On 11/26/15, Severin Menard <severin.menard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Blake and fellow OSMF members,
>
> Concerns about the representation of the OSMF directors have already been
> raised in the past and discussed within the mailing list. It is still not
> well gender balanced, with no representation of countries from the South
> and entirely populated by professionals in Geomatics. It may improve for
> some of these aspects through the next election. More women, people from
> South America, Africa, Asia and non professionals would better represent
> the whole OSM community, whatever the qualities of every candidate.
>
> In his email, Nicolas raised his concerns about the fact an organization,
> whose he is part and has been a director and co-founder (fact that I do not
> think he is hiding or would like to), would be actually much represented
> within the OSMF board, that is supposed to represent the whole OSM
> community as best as possible. As a director of HOT myself, I would also
> consider that “Hotties” (as we use to call ourselves) should avoid standing
> up to the OSMF if they can potentially be in majority and naturally raise
> concerns from the OSMF membership. It is an opinion, and there is nothing
> scandalous in it.
>
> Therefore, I do not understand why you use such a tone and uses
> inappropriate words, as quoted by Christoph. I will also add in it your
> final sentence, that may be appropriate to use for a child you are
> reprimanding, not for an adult. It is, unfortunately, so symptomatic of the
> way the people expressing a different view than the one in majority of the
> board since 2013 have been treated. Eventually, in a sense, the way you
> stand up exaggeratedly to protect what you feel being the reputation of a
> corporation and people from it, and the way you express how different
> opinions about governance can be considered within HOT, is actually the
> best advocacy you could make for the concerns raised by Nicolas.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Severin
>
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 12:51 AM, Blake Girardot <bgirardot at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Hi again Nico and fellow OSMF members.
>>
>> You know, I was entertained by your original email Nico because it was so
>> divorced from reality and lacking any substance, but now after not very
>> long thinking more about it I am much less entertained.
>>
>> You are intentionally feeding the idea that there is a divide between HOT
>> and OSM and there is NO divide: Great HOT people are great OSM people. We
>> all are dedicated to growing and strengthening OSM and the OSM community
>> worldwide.
>>
>> The people running for OSMF Board (all of them) are good people and great
>> supporters of OSM and you have now ignored that and cast doubt on the
>> candidacy of 3 people who will be nothing but experienced, tireless
>> supporters of OSM (elected to the board or not). And not based on their
>> qualifications or dedication, because those are unassailable, but based
> [...]

Nicolas Chavent
Projet OpenStreetMap (OSM)
Projet Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT)
Projet Espace OSM Francophone (EOF)
Mobile (FRA): +33 (0)6 52 40 78 20
Mobile (CIV): +225 78 12 76 99
<nicolas.chavent at hotosm.org>