[Osmf-talk] The 'Paying People' question

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Sat Nov 28 14:23:37 UTC 2015

Kate added the 'Paying People' question here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Foundation/AGM15/Election_to_Board#Paying_People

It seems most of our candidates are in favour, some of them strongly in favour, of employing people. Just one, Peda, is strongly against. I'm quite surprised the responses aren't more balanced on this issue.

A lot of people instinctively look at this aspect of the OSMF, and surmise that we are dithering. failing to act decisively. failing to grow. The number of employees as a success metric, is not one we are scoring highly on! Is that the way the candidates are thinking?

What about the flipside of this? The benefits of keeping the OSMF not-for-profit company as a lean organisation. The risks of starting to move much more money around to pay people's salaries.

Not that I am opposed to it completely, but personally I'd be pleased to see candidates taking a very cautious stance on this, or at least giving consideration to the risks.

Harry