[Osmf-talk] OSMF Admin Position

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 20:00:31 UTC 2016

Yes, the broader topics of transparency are important but off topic here.
The admin assistant will improve frequency and depth of communications, and that will result in more transparency, though definitely not address everything you have brought up. Let's pick that up on another thread.
At the moment, the point of this thread is to share where we are with the admin assistant, and get any guidance from members as we look ahead.
-Mikel * Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

    On Friday, April 22, 2016 3:27 PM, Christoph Hormann <chris_hormann at gmx.de> wrote:

 On Friday 22 April 2016, Mikel Maron wrote:
> We are hopeful
> this position will be a big help with organizing the day to day for
> OSMF, result in more transparency to members, [...]

Actually that is not going to work, unless of course you intend to hire
someone with the purpose of routinely communicating internas via side
channels - which you probably don't.

Transparency is a matter of organizational culture and as such has to
come from the top.  Expecting an administrative assistent to take
initiative w.r.t. transparency is not plausible.

On a general note from my point of view the time since the last board
elections (which has been more than four month so the initial grace
period is surely over) has not been very progressive regarding
transparency.  For example:

- none of the board meetings since then have been public.
- compared to last year board meeting protocols have been slow to appear
recently.
- the membership statistics have not been updated since December.
- the matter of recording individual board member votes has not been
revisited since 2015-06-15.
- as far as i can see there has been next to no public communications on
ongoing processes and discussions within the board, like the corporate
membership program.

I am sorry if this appears somewhat off-topic here - i don't mean to
bury other discussion on the matter of an administrative assistent with
it but with this in mind i think selling the idea of an assistent
position to the membership as a measure towards transparency is not
credible.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/