[Osmf-talk] Draft New Corporate Membership Tiers

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Apr 28 09:34:52 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 04/28/2016 11:11 AM, Tom Hughes wrote:
> So what exactly are you suggesting that corporate members get over and
> above what anybody else gets?

I'd say that the add-on here (over and above what anyone gets for free)
is a translation into legalese.

Today, if someone writes to legal-questions they will get a response but
it will not be a response from someone who speaks legalese and if
they're unlucky then the person responding might also need a couple
iterations to actually understand what is being asked when it's in legalese.

The service offered to corporate members is that they can send their
question in legalese, and a lawyer will look at it and then ask {board,
LWG, legal-questions ...} about the situation (in normal language) and
will convert the response into legalese and send it back.

The service offered to corporate members is *not* that OSMF will
suddenly commit to things it wouldn't normally commit to when asked by
someone else. Our lawyer would not be able to, for example, analyse a
business model and say whether it is compatible with the license or it
isn't; there will not be a seal of "OSMF lawyer approved business model"
that corporate members can buy. But our lawyer can help *their* lawyer
identify the sections of the license that might be crucial to their
business model. Ultimately it's their call - just like for everyone else.

Bye
Frederik