[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] [Talk-us] license changes

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Feb 23 00:04:12 UTC 2016

There is, naturally, a longish story before this, not really necessary,
drama.

In August last year Kate hat contact with a law school about potential
input from a seminar or similar format on topics in the context of
licensing. While there was a fair amount of discussion and some
suggestions with respect to potential suitable topics, in the end it
fizzled out and nothing actually happened.

Very early this year (aka before we (LWG and myself) were back from the
holiday season) another similar opportunity presented itself and in the
rush to secure the contact a number of "DO NOT PRESS, THIS WILL CAUSE
CONFLAGRATION" buttons were pressed, including one labelled "geocoding".

The resulting blaze was however contained reasonably fast and the
position of the LWG remains the same as before, that there is nothing to
be said against input in such a form as long as it is clear that we are
not seeking formal legal advice with all its associated consequences.
Obviously contentious high-profile topics probably are not the best
selection for student work and should only be farmed out after due
consideration.

If anybody wants to be truly bored, this is some of the bullet-point
only topics that I've suggested:

- review of the existing OSM community guidelines related to the ODbL
- ODbL review with an eye to a 1.1 release (gather points for
clarification and similar)
- review CC-BY 4.0 compatibility as an input licence to the ODbL
licensed databases
- sub-licensing in the ODbL and CC licences
- a treaty on the "can I be sued by an OSM contributor" issue
- grace periods in the CC and ODbL licences

Naturally OSM-US is completely free to discuss whatever it wants with
whomever it wants, but that works the other way around too.

Simon