[Osmf-talk] Promotion of personal projects on OpenStreetMap twitter a/c

Jerry Clough jrclough2 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 4 18:41:02 UTC 2016

Dear All,
I notice that, a personal project of Steve Coast, who I believe is still chairman emeritus of OSMF, has recently been tweeted using the OpenStreetMap twitter account. This project appears to be for personal gain, and thus the tweet may be construed as advertising for the product, or endorsement of the product, by the board.

|   |
|   |  |   |   |   |   |   |
| OpenStreetMap on TwitterHmm... Something went wrong. Please try again.  |
|  |
| View on twitter.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

I personally believe that members of the board, whether elected, or appointed ex officio should not receive any special treatment with respect to non-board related activities.

Given that several members of the board work for, or hold significant financial interests, in for-profit entities making use of OpenStreetMap data, I also think that it is incumbent that the board, and any one acting as an agent for the board (specifically those with the right to tweet using the 'official' twitter account) be held to high standards regarding equal treatment for all users of OpenStreetMap.
I would welcome a formal statement of the current board position on this issue, including the text of any existing policies.

Yours,
Jerry Clough