[Osmf-talk] compatible licenses / ODbL

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sat Jan 16 18:31:36 UTC 2016

> Is there a list of known compatible (or definitely not compatible)
> licenses for the current ODbL?
> I'm asking because our regional government has released boundary data
> in cc-by 4.0 and we are asking ourselves if we can use it in OSM.
>
> Another question that stems from a quick research for the above, I
> have seen here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue
> That appearently some cc-by 3.0 data has also been imported since the
> license change. Is this an indication that cc-by 3.0 is also compatible?

CC BY 3.0 is not compatible because it has onerous attribution
requirements, except many governments have given explicit permission.

> I am aware that any data that has some strings attached might not be
> suitable for a potential future relicensing as regulated by the user CTs.

Yes, but ODbL-only data can be imported[1], so a license which might not
be compatible with some strictly potential future license need not stop
data use. I'd recommend avoiding custom licenses, but this is to avoid
license proliferation and other general open data reasons, not anything
OSM specific.

I'd also recommend that you ask legal questions on the legal-talk@
mailing list, as it's more of an OSM question than an OSMF question.