[Osmf-talk] OpenStreetMap Awards

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Fri Jul 8 13:27:43 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

Some of you remember the Lolcat. Few people have received it, and most of them were programmers. Then there was a promise of the Ulf Möller award. Not sure if OSMF have got any nominations, but we haven't granted it yet. We also had an idea for archievements, and the Belgian community does a great work honouring its members in their "Mapper of the month" series.

I wanted to have a worldwide award for any of the OSM members, including developers, mappers, community leaders, blog writers and everyone else. The Board and the SOTM team liked the idea, so this September we will have our first winners.

But now, we have to decide on nominations. Our project is too vast to come up with nominations by oneself, so I ask all of you to contribute. I have start a brain-storming wiki page for any nomination ideas that come to your mind. Best movie? Best male actor in a supporting role? Anything you like: please edit the page and add a nomination.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap_Awards/Nominations

We will collect ideas until the 23rd of July, then a small group of people from CWG and the Board (and maybe SOTM WG) will decide on a final list of nominations, and starting 25th of July we will open a call for the long list nominees. The rest of the process, and the concrete time of the awards ceremony, will be disclosed later.

I hope to make these awards count, and to honour every member's contribution to the growth and outreach of OpenStreetMap. Take your time to remember people and projects that you liked, and to come up with nominations they could receive.

Thanks,
IZ