[Osmf-talk] Upload slowness - what's going on?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri May 13 13:58:42 UTC 2016

On 13/05/16 14:43, Maarten Deen wrote:
> On 2016-05-13 14:59, Grant Slater wrote:
>
> Kudos for the very clear explanation.
>
>> Over today (for at least the weekend) we are switching to the new
>> frontend & backend servers in York (Bytemark). London Imperial will be
>> offline from approximately 5pm (GMT+1) for the first weekend of power
>> maintenance.
>
> Is my understanding correct that this will put all servers in York and
> eliminate the latency and therefore the slowness?

As of now everything is running in York so that we are ready for the
power to go off in London over the weekend.

On Monday we plan to move service back to London though I will probably
try and keep the uploads going through the backend servers at York to
see if that improves the speed issues seen this week.

In due course the new database server in London will likely become the
master with the one in York as a slave for servicing reads but with the
ability to flip the master over if we need to run from York for some reason.

> Am I also correct to assume that the current situation is only because
> of this move (and prompted by the maintenance at Imperial) and is not
> planned to be a permanent setup?

Well long term we want to have things spread over multiple sites so that
we can cope with a data centre going down and part of this is us
learning the best way to split things up and arrange things so that we
can achieve redundancy without impacting other things.

So there will likely be some tinkering and experimentation over the
coming weeks as we try different things to see what works best.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/