[Osmf-talk] Problems with skrill.com in the UK

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 08:25:06 UTC 2016

On 4 October 2016 at 00:54, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Short of raising a stink on social media, I wonder what the proper
> process in the UK is. They seem to be regulated by the Financial Conduct
> Authority. There must be some magic words I can put in a written letter
> alongside our bank account number to make them pay out our money? Is
> perhaps http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk the way to go?

My first reaction would be to take them to the Small Claims Court (or
rather, explain to them that you are taking them to the Small Claims
Court, which might have the desired effect).

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

It's a simple, cheap way to get small amounts of money that you're
owed, and is geared up for normal people and/or small businesses
representing themselves. It has a good reputation since it's cheap,
and many companies realise that it will cost way more to defend the
claim than just paying it out. So they often don't turn up to court,
and the default judgement goes to the claimant.

It's worth noting that mediation is also commonly used, and for a
quick telephone call is fairly cheap. I imagine the court process
would go even quicker after mediation.

> I'd like to avoid having to task a lawyer with this because that would
> quickly eat up the £500 ;)

Even the court filing for £500 is £35, and it looks like mediation
starts from around £100, so the net amount remaining is ever
diminished. I suspect Skrill are probably expecting you to give up and
write it off!

Thanks,
Andy