[Osmf-talk] OSM and Diversity

Kathleen Danielson kathleen.danielson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 13:31:28 UTC 2017

Hi Everyone,

Just dropping in, as another woman who was on the OSMF Board, but did not
manage to finish her term. (Another fun cut was hearing "Good Morning,
Gentlemen!" being called out as someone entered a face to face board
meeting at which Kate and I were present, definitely not being gentlemen.)

I've mostly checked out of OSM these days, because it was exhausting (I
wonder why...).

If you're wringing your hands about what we can do about the diversity
problem (as I saw in a different thread), you haven't been paying
attention. We've been talking about this for years. Here's a talk I gave in
2015 literally called "Improving Diversity in OSM" [1]. Here's a list of
other OSM-specific resources that have been collected on the wiki [2].

I hope you'll take to heart the work that so many of us already poured into
this topic. I hope you'll also think long and hard about why quite a few of
us who amassed that body of work are no longer active within the community.

Kathleen

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=WIzTEaMEc8k
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Diversity