[Osmf-talk] Proposal - OSMF Should Adopt a Code of Conduct

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Fri Dec 1 03:25:49 UTC 2017

OpenStreetMap is one of the few open source initiatives that operates its
mailing lists without a formal Code of Conduct. Many [1] of the large open
source projects have adopted a Code of Conduct for their mailing lists,
forums and conferences.

Why would we want to have a formal standard for contact? OpenStreetMap
longevity depends on our being able to attract and keep new mappers,
developers and third party users. Good behavior means more people feel
comfortable engaging in community discussions. Bad conduct not only drives
people away but can lead to giving OSM a bad reputation. Our reputation is
key to raising funds needed for operation and growth. The OSMF Board has a
fiduciary responsibility to protect our project. Adopting and enforcing a
Code of Conduct is a step in that direction.

Some examples of CoC guidelines are:

   -

   Be respectful
   -

   Be friendly and patient
   -

   Be civil and considerate
   - Be collaborative
   -

   Assume good intentions.
   -

   Respect time and attention
   -

   Disclose potential conflicts
   - Take responsibility for our words and our actions
   -

   Be welcoming
   -

   Be careful in the words that you choose
   -

      Discriminatory remarks based on stereotypes
      -

      Violent threats or language directed against another person.
      -

      Discriminatory jokes and language.
      -

      Posting sexually explicit or violent material.
      -

      Posting (or threatening to post) other people's personally
      identifying information ("doxing").
      -

      Personal insults, especially those using racist or sexist terms.
      -

      Unwelcome sexual attention.
      -

      Repeated harassment of others. In general, if someone asks you to
      stop, then stop.
      -

      Deliberately spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt)
      -

      Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior.

Adopting a CoC is just one step in the process. If we only post the CoC
when members sign up on a mailing list or attend our conferences, nothing
will change. Instead the Board should:

   -

   Define the scope of the policy: may include mailing lists, conferences
   and other in person gatherings, forums, comments on changesets, IRC,
   -

   Decide who is responsible for responding to reports of abuse
   -

   Determine consequences for violating the CoC
   -

   Provide appropriate avenues to report abuse
   -

   Periodically remind members of our CoC

[1] Example of Codes of Conduct by Open Source organizations:

   -

   Linux Foundation -
   https://www.linuxfoundation.org/events/code-of-conduct/
   -

   Ada Initiative -
   https://adainitiative.org/2014/02/18/howto-design-a-code-of-conduct-for-your-community/
   -

   Open Source Initiative - https://opensource.org/codeofconduct
   -

   OSGEO - http://www.osgeo.org/code_of_conduct
   -

   Ubuntu - https://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu/conduct
   -

   Mailman - https://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/coc.html
   -

   HOTOSM - https://www.hotosm.org/hot_code_of_conduct
   -

   Django - https://www.djangoproject.com/conduct/
   -

   Mozilla -
   https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/governance/policies/participation/
   -

   Rust - https://www.rust-lang.org/en-US/conduct.html
   -

   Eclipes -
   https://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/Community_Code_of_Conduct.php
   -

   Fedora -
   https://docs.fedoraproject.org/fedora-project/project/code-of-conduct.html
   -

   Climate CoLab (crowdsource climate change)  -
   https://climatecolab.org/wiki/Community%20philosophy%20and%20policies

Resources

   -

   Defining and Developing an Effective Code of Conduct for Organizations -
   http://www.icaew.com/~/media/corporate/files/technical/ethics/defining%20and%20developing%20an%20effective%20code%20of%20conduct%20for%20organizations.ashx
   -

   Ada Initiative How to design a code of conduct for your community -
   https://adainitiative.org/2014/02/18/howto-design-a-code-of-conduct-for-your-community/
   - The Geek Feminism CoC Evaluations-
   http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Code_of_conduct

Respectively,