[Osmf-talk] statistics from the membership drive

Pete Masters pedrito1414 at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 3 17:15:39 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I have been actively encouraging people coming to Missing Maps mapathons to
find out more about OSM, to understand the community beyond humanitarians
and, if they are interested, join the OSMF.

My view is that we need to build better bridges between different
communities in the OSM ecosystem.

How these conversations have been railroaded to the point that we are
discussing these false divisions to such an extent is a bit beyond me....
the upcoming election has barely been mentioned in the past few days!

Shall we get back to the candidates?

Pete

On 3 Dec 2017 16:48, "Christoph Hormann" <chris_hormann at gmx.de> wrote:

On Sunday 03 December 2017, Jean-Guilhem Cailton wrote:

> Tyler Radford, Executive Director of HOT US Inc., made a call to
> members of HOT US Inc to become members of the OSMF before November 8
> to be eligible to vote.
>
> Could there be a connection?

That is unlikely to have had a big influence since the number of HOT
members from the US is not that big and most of them were already OSMF
members long before.

The more likely reason is that the US OSM community in general made more
of an effort in motivating US mappers to join the OSMF than communities
elsewhere around the world.  This in itself is not a problem, the
problem is the resulting lack of proportional geographic representation
in the OSMF (and i have been arguing for how important this is and how
this can be improved for a long time).

By the way the non-proportional geographic representation is likely a
self emphasizing problem.  If an under-represented group does not feel
represented in an organization like the OSMF members of this group will
feel less inclined to participate in that organization.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/