[Osmf-talk] Actually OSMF, we already have a "Code of Conduct"

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 02:38:02 UTC 2017

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Etiquette

Back in 2010, we had a robust discussion of how to help keep our community
civil, during one of the most tumultuous episodes in our history -- the
license change.

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2010-August/052707.html

As a result, the OSMF developed expectations for online communications at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Etiquette, and put in place moderation
rules and a group to deal with issues as they arise. While you could give
this a different label -- Netiquette, Community Participation Guidelines
(my favorite) -- it's not any different in substance from a Code of Conduct.

Moderation is an important but pretty thankless task, and the effort of
people to take on this roll has waxed and waned. However it still happens.
It's happened this week, on this list.

What's needed now is clarity and energy -- I think the discussions so far
will provide helpful input. Let's take a look at what we have and refresh
and update, survey the landscape of community guidelines in OSM (online,
offline, discussion, mapping, code) and bring to some order and clarity,
and support members to take on the task of supporting the rules. And raise
awareness of what's there among newcomers and old timers alike.

So yea, guidelines were already in place, we had just forgotten about it.
Let's get them in shape in and an active part of what we do.

-Mikel