[Osmf-talk] Actually the OSM community already has a "Code of Conduct"

Ben Abelshausen ben.abelshausen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 11:14:42 UTC 2017

> "Nobody is forced to obey them, nor will OSM ever force any of its
> mappers to do anything. There might be cases where these guidelines
> don't apply, or even contradict each other."
>
> That is the spirit of the OpenStreetMap project i started contributing
> five years ago.

Then why does the DWG revert changesets when needed? We do force mappers to
behave! And we should or OSM will be at risk of becoming unusable or
tainted with unlicensed or huge amounts of bad data. And then there are the
guidelines for 'organized mapping' we were discussing before this started.

I could use the same argument against the DWG and the new guidelines.

The community could potentially never recover if we give absolute freedom
to everybody to do whatever they want. So even freedom in mapping isn't
absolute in OSM and it never will. We just collectively decide what's
acceptable.

That's exactly where a code of conduct comes in for person-to-person
communication, when things go wrong, exactly the same as the DWG. They
revert imports gone wrong for example because it hurts our community; how
is that any different from encouraging people to follow a code of conduct?

I think what the DWG does is even more extreme sometimes then the way a
code of conduct would work. Also has there ever been a truly
community-sourced way of determining the rules they follow to revert?

Besides, it appears we already have a code of conduct so not sure what
we're still on about. Question is, why didn't we notice we had one.

Cheers,
Ben