[Osmf-talk] What's all this stuff about HOT, and how is it relevant for OSMF.

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Dec 4 12:09:19 UTC 2017

Am 04.12.2017 um 04:21 schrieb Mikel Maron:

> Hey everybody
>

> A few notes, on all this discussion of HOT, and what’s actually
> relevant from that for the OSMF.

Thank Mikel for clarifying this.

It does show why it both current threads on osmf-talk are completely on
topic, Heathers election platform essentially offers to (re-)form the
OSMF (and by extension OSM) just as you did HOT. Hearing out to a
certain point those that lost out in HOT due to such a course is just a
part of determining if we want to elect somebody that is proposing a
similar course.

Now I'm not sure there is much point in hearing the nitty-gritty details
of who did what, because in the end what does count, is that in the end
an identifiable sub-group couldn't continue on working inside HOT,
including the co-founder. That is quite OK in a startuppy kind of way
(we can wait for the cinematic version in "The Humanitarian Network"
:-)), but as you say it can not be a role model for OSM.

Given the perceived need for strong leadership, clear command structures
and responsibilities in the humanitarian sector that you describe, it is
unlikely the the influence of the humanitarian sector topic will be
going away and will continue to have the potential for lots of strife:
what about the humanitarian sector voluntarily  limiting itself to a
presence of a maximum of two seats on the OSMF board (note a limit not
an entitlement). This should encompasses employees and equivalent of
such organisations, larger funders and organisations that derive a
majority of their income from such organisations.

Simon