[Osmf-talk] A Modest Proposal - OSM(F) should **NOT** adopt a copyright/database licence

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Mon Dec 4 19:25:53 UTC 2017

All this discussion of code of conducts has highlighted an important
topic, about rules, about norms and restrictions. And I have a modest
proposal for preventing the copyright from being a burden on OSM, and
for making OSM beneficial to the publick.

It's high time we got rid of these rules. They only stifle free speech,
and cause endless problems for users. they are vague, They only restrict
what people do, and which has never been used.

I'm talking, of course, of the ODbL! We don't need a copyright/database
licence! Even the name (intellectual property) sounds scary to me! How
can you own that! Any copyright licence will make people more or less
auto censure. They'll be afraid to publish software, or new data.
Copyright/database licences are fine for some things, but surely a
culturally, and globally diverse community like us can never find a
common licence which will suit everyone, which will apply everywhere.

I don't think there's been a single court case where the ODbL (or old
CC-BY-SA licence) was used or needed.

I would see any "intellectual property trial" as some sort of modern day
inquisition, with high prices to enter, with old stuffy men in funny
robes and wigs making obscure decisions under the threat of imprisonment
or theft!

Some will think I am suggesting a "public domain"/CC0 licence, but
that's still accepting copyright law! It's time we threw it out!

The only winning move is to not play!

We just don't need it! To the dustbin of history with it all! No CoCs!
No Licences!

--

Dr. Rory Swift