[Osmf-talk] Surveys

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed Dec 6 18:10:54 UTC 2017

Legal definitions tend to differ between territories quite a bit, to
keep things simple I would suggest "any communication that is not
directly related to the agreement between the OSMF and the user", in
other words anything not in direct connection to the users
contributions. And yes welcome mails are likely not covered by this,
which however is not news (I'm saying that as somebody that has sent a
good 5'000 of them).

Besides the legalities there are soft factors to consider. It has been
expressed many times that our contributors value the absence of a
continuous stream of mails from the operators of the system, as we all
have to suffer under from twitter, facebook, linkedin, xing and so on*.
Even with a opt-in system we should keep the volume as low as possible.

Simon

* I always ask myself how many potential contributors have we scared off
by sending welcome mails.