[Osmf-talk] [HOT] [hotosm-membership] Re: Code of Conduct Reminder

nebulon42 nebulon42 at mailbox.org
Fri Dec 15 21:03:15 UTC 2017

While the user's statement was inappropriate I think that this
particular sentence had a bit of a colloquial touch. In German you could
also say "Ich hasse ..." (I hate ...) in a sense of a sigh to be
unsatisfied with something. Naturally, this cannot be conveyed through
an e-mail and might or might not be the case. Cultural differences might
be at play here.

I can also understand Brian insofar that as software maintainer you
essentially get no thanks but are constantly asked why this or that does
not work like the user expects it or why this or that is missing. On
openstreetmap-carto the most often opened issue is "Why is the rendering
for x missing?" or "Please add x to the map". There are situations where
you react with "enough of that" to a small trigger.

Am 2017-12-15 um 19:43 schrieb Dale Kunce:
> This is not an effort to
> curb free speech but instead to build a positive collaborative space to
> discuss.

I believe you, but sure you know that there have been a lot of
accusations and maybe also conspiracy theories about that particular
topic in relation to HOT. An outsider like me cannot easily decide what
is and what isn't true, but I'm still concerned. So you get touchy
reactions to such a statement like yours along the lines of "hey, they
want to suppress/censor us". While that is a bit far fetched apparently
a lot of people are over-sensitive these days. So maybe everyone should
be extra-diplomatic until this over-sensitiveness goes away again?

Michael