[Osmf-talk] Treasurer's report for 2017 AGM

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 15:44:25 UTC 2017

> It's really difficult to figure out a firm selection criteria
Don't get the impression that there are not selection criteria. Rather it is hard to balance out all the criteria against so many good candidates, and the deliberations are very thorough.
Some of the criteria considered are
* Geographical representation -> we're mapping the whole world, SotM should have participants from everywhere* Minority groups representation -> bring greater ethnic and gender representation to SotM* Community activity and benefit -> what is the track record of participant in their local community, and how will the community benefit from their attendance
* Participation at SotM -> what will there presence bring to SotM in terms of sessions and participation* Financial need -> would not be able to attend without scholarship support
-Mikel
* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

    On Monday, December 18, 2017, 10:07:42 AM EST, Gregory <sotm at livingwithdragons.com> wrote:

For SotM 2017 there were just over 100 candidates, I think it was 109 after removing duplicates and empty entries.
This is more a part of SotM-WG than directly by the board/treasurer, it's worth noting that SotM currently tries to be cost-neutral, and to keep ticket prices down.The scholarships are a way of allowing more people to attend. The number is based on the total number of delegates, but also reliant on conference sponsorship and time of volunteers.

It's really difficult to figure out a firm selection criteria. Last week I was looking at how we will make of selection process more transparent, you can expect some of this to materialise in about 3 months around when we announce the call for scholar applications to SotM 2018.

Our 2018 website is still being built, but the best way to get updates is to sing-up for the e-mail newsletter.There is a form at: https://2017.stateofthemap.org/

If I missed any specific questions, or you have other ones regarding SotM then please let me know.
Gregory MarlerSotM WG (volunteer)

On 9 December 2017 at 00:13, Christoph Hormann <chris_hormann at gmx.de> wrote:

On Saturday 09 December 2017, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> [...] but perhaps you can be a little forgiving from time
> to time too!

Not that i am really in a position to forgive here but you are aware
that to forgive usually requires someone to admit a mistake?

If Martijn had opened by apologizing and admitting that you should have
published this before the whole election circus started my reaction
would have been very different.

Let me lead the way by admitting that i should have followed up on the
previous hints about this - in particular here:

http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/ wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-06-20# Closed_portion_of_meeting

earlier.  I intended to do this but i failed to do so.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/