[Osmf-talk] Dale Kunce (OSM, OSMF and HOT US Inc president) on [OSMF] mailing list: "a viper pit of racism and misogyny"; a statement which minimally calls for answers and facts

Robert Banick rbanick at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 17:51:09 UTC 2017

Hi Ben,

Thanks for a reasoned, passionate reply. I am also frustrated that this is
an issue repeatedly raised by people of different backgrounds and
repeatedly ignored, or diverted into tangents. We can do better and should;
in my eyes we’re not talking about freedom of speech, we’re talking about
freedom of rudeness, for which I have no time.

Speaking personally I’m not offended if someone wants to be mean to me
because I volunteer with HOT or am American, but I have better things to do
than engage with that. I’d rather invest my time in OSM projects or further
learning. Or not OSM at all.

For this reason I largely stay out of the main OSM listservs because I find
them an unproductive space. The lack of respect and reflexive catering to
conspiracy theories means discussions tend to result in disagreement, not
agreement, and ugly disagreement at that. It’s a glaring problem even
without the associated rudeness and when so many are linking the two it’s
really a failure on our part that we’re not doing more to address it.

It’s for this reason that I’m in favor of a Code of Conduct. As Ben says,
it gives us a mechanism for addressing these issues inside the OSMverse. If
others have better ideas I’m open but I’ve mostly heard counter-arguments,
not counter-proposals.

Best,
Robert