[Osmf-talk] "a viper pit of racism and misogyny"

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 04:14:25 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:42 AM, joost schouppe
<joost.schouppe at gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW I've just been told the actual trigger was not anything said on here,
> but some blatant anti-American hate speech  on IRC that wasn't countered by
> those present there:

Hi Joost,

Wait, no, that is a mistake, my fault for the confusion.

I mentioned that example but it happened after Dale's comment on twitter.

I mentioned it because Frederick's list of things he was ok with
trying to discourage and be able to actually point to as not
acceptable in our community should also include attacks on peoples,
nationalities and cultures. No one and no culture should be subject to
comments like that in any online community I want to be a part of.

The fact that it is so common toward Americans, even in the most
extreme form and no one says anything but to just joke along with
them, I said specifically was not related to Dale's email comment, but
that it was an example of the kind of thing that contributes to having
feelings about the osm community Dale expressed. I am not sure the
context really matters, it for sure was not in a context of "Things I
would never say" or "Examples of things to discourage" it was made in
a discussion of avoiding the use of US based services (which is
obviously a fine discussion as it was just a discussion about not
using google, facebook, etc).

The pervasive and perfectly accepted prejudice against some groups
gets really tiresome and frustrating. It leads to a great build up of
frustration at best and drives people away or to isolation from the
larger OSM community at worst.

Respectfully,
blake