[Osmf-talk] Advisory board

Martijn van Exel martijn at osmfoundation.org
Fri Mar 3 23:09:59 UTC 2017

Hi all,

As you have seen, our new Corporate Membership program includes a reference to an Advisory Board. The board (of directors) would like to update you on our current thinking around this, and where we are with the process.

The Advisory Board is a body that provides non-binding strategic advice to the OpenStreetMap Foundation's Board of Directors. Its purpose is for the Board of Directors to benefit from the knowledge and experience of individuals outside of the OSM project. Its members may consist of individuals from organizations who sponsor the Foundation at an eligible level, representatives from registered local chapters, as well as other individuals invited by the Board of Directors to join.

The Advisory Board may dispense advice to the Board of Directors of their own volition, but may also be called upon by the Board of Directors to advise on a specific matter.

The structure of the Advisory Board is informal. There is no set meeting schedule. To start out, the Board of Directors will set up a mailing list to serve as the main communications channel for the Advisory Board. As a general rule, communications between the Advisory Board and the Board of Directors will be made available to Foundation members.

Right now we are setting up this mailing list, and we will soon be inviting members from eligible companies / chapters. I think it is fairly likely that the Advisory Board will also be a topic (again) in the next OSMF board meeting, so keep an eye out for that if you are interested in the progress on this topic.

Martijn van Exel
Secretary, OpenStreetMap Foundation
martijn at osmfoundation.org