[Osmf-talk] Directed Editing Policy

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 01:29:22 UTC 2017

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    the DWG has prepared a policy on "Directed Editing" (former working
> title "Organised Editing Policy"). Read it here:
>
> https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Directed_Editing_Policy
>
> The policy picks up (but doesn't slavishly follow) the results of our
> survey, where it became obvious that transparency and communications are
> what mappers find most important about organised mapping efforts. The
> policy replaces the somewhat fuzzy terms of "paid" and "organised"
> editing with the concept of "directed editing", which is essentially
> when you're required to edit OSM (because of work, a school assignment
> etc) and/or when you're told by others exactly what and how to map.
>
> The DWG is interested in feedback on this proposal. Are you currently
> involved in some form of editing that would be covered by the policy?
> Does the policy present an unnecessary obstacle for some activities? If
> you have witnessed organised mapping efforts that caused problems -
> would these problems have been avoided if people had adhered to the
> proposed policy?

This looks like a rather burdensome policy for those that want to run a
small mapping party to energize the local OSM community. If I decide to
have a few people over to a local community center to collect and add data
to OSM, am I required to generate a wiki page every time? How will the DWG
enforce this policy? How will the DWG distinguish between directed and
undirected mapping activity? It seems that DWG is trying to clamp down on
what it sees as bad behavior from commercial entities by writing a policy
that also requires more from the most important OSM volunteer participants.

More generally: this policy seems backwards to me. Shouldn't these sort of
recommendations and restrictions on behavior be reworded into a "mapper
code of conduct"? The talk list has been rife with claims of "unwritten
rules" lately – perhaps we should write them down and point to them as a
positive affirmation of how we want our community to behave.