[Osmf-talk] Directed Editing Policy

Dale Kunce dale.kunce at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 16:59:56 UTC 2017

I am really willing to help draft something that meets the DWG needs and
also is manageable for the community. Can you provide more detail about the
motivation behind the need for a policy? Is it to focus on the well
intentioned but badly executed group mapping session like the ones you
referenced or is to simply better understand corporate mappers that have
come to OSM in the past few years.

As you said HOT, Missing Maps, and other larger groups already do 95% of
what is in the draft guidelines, albeit with less use of the wiki than is
being asked for. I think a better way to start writing the policy is to
gather some of the actors such as HOT, Missing Maps, the OSM advisory
board, representative community members, to assist the DWG. This ad-hoc
working group would then be able to work more closely with the DWG in
crafting some language that works for everyone.

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 2:48 AM, Melanie Eckle <melanie.eckle at hotosm.org>
wrote:

> Dear Frederik and all,
>
> Thank you for sharing the policy and the discussion.
>
> We will discuss the policy in the HOT board including DaleĀ“s concerns. We
> are for sure happy to provide our feedback and to join OSMF for further
> discussions.
>
> Best,
> Melanie
>
> On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:
>

>> Am 21.11.2017 um 10:00 schrieb Helge Fahrnberger:
>>
>> This policy most likely will be ignored by SEO mappers (what else would
>> they do).
>>

>> They may or may not, however currently (sans policy) they are not doing
>> anything that we clearly spell out as not allowed. Further not all SEO
>> companies are fly by night operations and those that are not will not have
>> an issue with following the rules.
>>
>> Yet it could discourage the plethora of constructive and valuable
>> mapping. Activities that we should encourage instead.
>>

>> As Frederik has already pointed out your typical small scale mapping
>> party is unlikely to be effected, for anything larger, creating a wiki page
>> is not going to be a significant burden.
>>
>> Simon
>>

>> Helge

sent from my mobile device

Dale Kunce