[Osmf-talk] Directed Editing Policy

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 00:59:20 UTC 2017

I have run a number of mapping events, often in conjunction with
universities. Sometimes the professors with whom I am hosting the event
will offer "extra credit" to the students who are participating.  My
understanding of the policy is that it would apply to me.  Here are my
comments:

> must set up... a Wiki page...
> the participating people
I don't know who is going to participate ahead of time.  Generally these
are events open to the public. Also, for privacy, they may not want their
real name published. Many will not have OSM accounts coming into the event
and it would be a little bit of a hassle to go around mid event to get the
usernames.

> Note: The recommended time for discussion is not less than 14 days
Planning for these events is normally not completed until the week of the
event, and sometimes we switch projects at the last minute, either because
the project on which we had intended to work has been completed, or because
there is a more urgent need due to a new disaster.

> ...dedicated account you are using as a directee...
It is unreasonable to have someone create a special account just to
participate in a two hour event.

>  ...you should allocate resources for a "post-event clean up"...
Since projects on the HOT tasking manager have a validation step, does that
count? I always try to do cleanup, but sometimes others (not directed by
me) jump in and do it for my mappers, and sometimes I end up doing it for
mappers who didn't participate in my event.

Mike