[Osmf-talk] Directed Editing Policy

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Nov 22 13:23:37 UTC 2017

Ian,

I see that you're trying to motivate people to comment on Twitter with a
tweet (https://twitter.com/iandees/status/932818951620440065) that goes

"OpenStreetMap's Data Working Group is seeking comment (so far only from
OSMF members) about a policy that would make it harder for groups like
@hotosm, @TheMissingMaps, @youthmappers to contribute to OSM"

Could you please keep this discussion factual and civil instead of
drumming up support with one-sided and misleading statements?

*Any* rule or policy, even if it is something trivial like "please use
good changeset comments", makes it harder for people to contribute, even
if only a tiny little bit. At the same time, it also makes it less
likely for people to cause harm. Good policies are about striking a
balance. Everyone in OSM, including the groups that you mention,
benefits if the danger of accidental damage or detrimental edits to OSM
is reduced.

We have gone out of our way to be fair and un-biased in this. We could
have written a survey that starts with question one: "Do you think
OpenStreetMap should be protected against accidental damage?" and then
take it from there, but we didn't. (For 3 minutes of British humour on
this, see "Yes Prime Minister"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=884qXhIqsKU). I am not on Twitter; I
hear that compared to the usual tone of discussion on Twitter, the OSM
mailing lists are a love-in. But even if that's the case, please don't
lower yourself to that level. Your tweet misrepresents the proposed
policy to those who are following you, and you are denying them a chance
for an un-biased assessment. "Hey @youthmappers, no need to think for
yourselves, just take my word for it, this is bad!". Is that really the
intellectual level on which you want to influence policymaking in OSMF?
I sure hope not.

Bye
Frederik