[Osmf-talk] Directed Editing Policy

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Thu Nov 23 10:44:51 UTC 2017

On Thursday 23 November 2017, Tim Elrick wrote:
> [...] I understand that many of the long-standing
> OSM members are concerned about new mappers (involuntary) entering
> data not according to the OSM standards.

Actually i don't think many are concerned with that - of course there
are territorial mappers who object to newcomers intruding 'on their
turf' but that it the exception and not an attitude that should be
supported.  The policy does not try to regulate new mappers in any
way - unless of course they start off as part of a directed mapping
effort.

> However, I am bit concerned about the policy not differentiating
> enough between paid and voluntary mapping groups. I think, the OSM
> community needs especially the latter to nurture a steady flow of new
> crazy, uber or epic mappers.

I would like to point to a comment i made on the talk ML yesterday
explaining that showing how to map and explaining how OSM works to
newcomers is quite clearly not covered by the policy:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2017-November/079695.html

If a formal distinction should be made based on economic factors (paid
vs. voluntary) is a tricky question.  The problem is these days there
are fairly viable options  with sufficient money and ressources to
organize and motivate volunteers in large numbers without acutally
paying them (which would make them non-volunteers obviously).  The
factors influencing the need for regulation are not really that
strictly connected to if the directees receive material compensation or
not.

By the way it would be interesting to know (though very difficult to
determine) if new mappers starting with individual, non-organized
mapping have a higher likeliness to become 'hooked' and keep mapping
than mappers who come in contact with OSM through directed mapping
efforts.  My gut feeling says that if you come and get started out of
your own interest you are more likely to stay long term than if you are
recruited by an organized project.  But this could be a wrong
impression.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/