[Osmf-talk] Directed Editing Policy

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Thu Nov 23 12:17:11 UTC 2017

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 at 12:10 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I believe the hack to make a policy about directed editing and employees,
> and then in an example declare experienced freelancers (i.e. people that
> are paid but not working according to precise orders) to "likely be both
> director and directee at the same time", does (at least with the current
> wording) not work, because the same person cannot be a "third party" as
> required in a) and b) for making the policy apply.
> Generally, I think there are 2 different aspects, one is the mapper being
> paid, the other is him taking orders (and possibly not being very
> experienced hence relying on instructions by the director), and if the
> policy focuses on the aspect of director and directee, we should have a
> different policy to cater explicitly for paid mapping rather than creating
> a weird construction of director and directee in the same person, and only
> in an example.

Indeed.

My experience has been that when I have been paid for mapping, it has not
been because the employer wants to tell me what to do, but that they want
to employ me because of my exisitng skill and knowledge, and to assist or
train THEM. That's completely the other way round than the model the policy
envisages. The employer just wants a map, they aren't micro-directing the
process.

David