[Osmf-talk] Candidacy: OSMF Board

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 13:25:01 UTC 2017

> It's a difficult one because if you stand for one of these two vacancies
> then you open your self up to challenge - essential for a functioning
> democracy. On the other hand challenging via the written medium is hard to
> get right.
>
> Thinking about TV interviews of politicians I can imagine presenters
> putting these same challenges to the candidate. I.e. they seem like
> reasonable challenges to have.

Well, I haven't seen TV interviews where a journalist says something like
"you seem to know nothing about health care, isn't it shameless to offer to
be minister of health". (but maybe I don't watch TV enough?).

This really sets the tone:

> Seeking to join the board of the OSM Foundation with such a high OSM
profile is really shameless

I am all for challenging candidates, but shaming them goes a bit further
than that. I'd hate to think that the best candidates for this election are
not participating because they prefer not to be publicly shamed in this
way. Sure, you have the right to say things like this here, but I doubt
very strongly that this kind of tone is good for the project. Just stating
the facts as you see them, might have led to a discussion about facts. Now
we're just going to discuss wether or not this kind of talk is OK or not.

--
Joost Schouppe
OpenStreetMap <http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/> |