[Osmf-talk] Fwd: Candidacy: OSMF Board

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Fri Nov 24 16:41:19 UTC 2017

On Friday 24 November 2017, Steve Friedl wrote:
> > Consequently this also means i am highly critical of the membership
> > fee waiver idea which is kind of a light version of the HOT
> > membership concept (existing members have to deem you worthy to be
> > granted a waiver).
>
> I'm not sure the membership fee waiver can be characterized that way.
>
> In our discussions in the MWG, the waiver is to be based on far more
> objective matters, such as the lack of suitable money transfer
> facilities (e.g., no Paypal, or where wire fees are outrageously
> large), things that can be verified by outside observers.
>
> These are not judgements made by committee whim based on who the cool
> kids are.

My formulation was probably a bit ambiguous here.  I did not mean to say
i think the membership fee cannot be waived in a form that does not
constitute a subjective judgement.  I made a few suggestions in that
direction in the discussion of the fee waiver program in September.  I
am sure a good solution can be found if everyone agrees that the goal
should be to lower the hurdle (both material and psychological) to
become an OSMF member as much as possible for any active OSM community
member without preferential treatment based on subjective criteria and
without depending on a person's ability and willingness to provide
additional personal and potentially sensitive information.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/