[Osmf-talk] Fwd: Candidacy: OSMF Board

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Fri Nov 24 18:56:02 UTC 2017

On Friday 24 November 2017, Kate Chapman wrote:

> I can't speak for everyone involved in HOT, but I think it is
> possible that many people long involved in HOT have more global
> experience, which certainly changes methods and view. [...]

That is an interesting hypothesis but i do not observe a correlation
between the style of communication, problem solving methods etc. of
non-HOT people with a vast amount of international experience and
people involved in HOT.  It could be (but i have no data supporting
that) that for most HOT members their work on HOT (or related
humanitarian work for other organizations) is the only or at least the
dominating international experience they have which then gives them a
fairly specific perspective on international diversity compared to
those with international insights with a different background.

> Who is to say what the native culture is? Since I've "only" been
> involved in OSM for 9 years at this point am I not part of that
> culture?

I am not judging here - i just observe a distinct OSM culture, in
particular regarding the style of communication and problem solving
approaches that transcends the boundaries between local communities and
languages and that i perceive to be distinctly different from what
seems to be common in HOT - mostly based on occasionally reading the
HOT mailing list and when HOT members participate in discussion on the
OSM mailing lists (mostly here and on osm-talk/imports).

This is probably a bit biased because while i have a fair amount of
insight into OSM communications in other languages my insight into the
HOT communication style is almost exclusively based on English language
communication.

I think the unifying element of the OSM communication culture is
ultimately mapping - and the related process of establishing tagging
conventions.  This is also probably what unifies and develops the
culture across the language barriers.  You do some mapping at the other
side of the world or in a neighboring country or observe someone else's
mapping there, have some bumpy communication (due to language barriers)
with the local people about tagging and this way create a cultural
connection.

That there is no central authority in that is one of the defining
elements of this.  The authority is always the local community and they
decide in how far they adjust to the other local communities and this
way create a more or less uniform global OSM culture.

> > If i am right about this you resigning from HOT membership would
> > indeed not change anything - even if it would be a visible
> > statement of course.  I don't think many people would brand you as
> > a 'HOT-gal' forever if they see you engage with the local and
> > global OSM community as one of them.
>
> What does it mean to interact with the global OSM community as a
> 'HOT-person'? I have attended and organized SotM-US, met with and
> spoken about OSM on 5 continents (Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa and
> Australia in case people are wondering). I'm part of the local
> community in Portland, Oregon. Though I get the feeling it doesn't
> matter, besides nobody should have to justify that they are in the
> 'in crowd'. Does being in the 'in crowd' mean that I send tons of
> emails on the mailing list? That is the only thing I can really see
> that would differentiate me. Frankly I find it an ineffective way to
> communicate.

I am not sure if i communicated my point well here.  What i wanted to
say is that if you feel you are being treated differently because of
your history with HOT that for most people is not a permanent
unchangeable status.  People doing that will likely change their view
of you if they routinely interact with you for some time and realize
you are just like any other OSM community member (including the
personal quirks everyone has obviously).

Personally i do not primarily view you as a 'HOT-person' but as an OSMF
board member because i rarely observe you in OSM outside the OSMF
context and because as you observed i did not really experience you
when you were active in HOT.  I do not recall reading any changeset
discussions where you wrote something, no diary entry other than OSMF
business, no tagging discussions on the OSM wiki or on the tagging
mailing list or any activity from you on OSM related software or map
design projects i observe.  This does not mean you are not active in
any of these - the world of OSM is vast and i see only a small part of
it.  And if i was an Oregon local i would probably have interacted with
you in the local community.

> I think of membership by invitation differently. I wonder how many
> more people would join the OSMF if they were personally invited to
> join. What if someone came and said "you really care about OSM, we'd
> love for you to join the OSMF?" I think there are advantages to that
> method and it allows recruiting people that might never think "oh
> they meant me!"

Personally approaching active mappers to join the OSMF would probably be
a good idea and could be fairly successful i presume.  But making
membership depend on such an invitation would IMO not be.

Note the big principal difference between the OSMF and HOT is that the
OSMF's purpose is to represent the whole OSM community.  Morally all
mappers in OSM have the right to be considered by the OSMF in its
decisions and if the OSMF stops representing significant parts of the
OSM community it would loose its raison d'etre.  To ensure this does
not happen a proportional representation of the OSM community in the
members would be very important.

HOT on the other hand does not have such a claim of universality.  They
want to support and organize humanitarian mapping but they do not
require themselves to represent all humanitarian mapping in OSM.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/