[Osmf-talk] Candidacy: OSMF Board

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Fri Nov 24 19:34:08 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Cultural differences are one thing, but to my
Hiberno-English ears this email is quite condescending and I can
tell Severin really, really doesn't like Heather. To say "Severin could
have phrased it better" is an understatement.

A thing which makes it rude is how he has addressed this email to
Heather, and done that throughout: "You have done this... You
said this...", along with condescending swipes (nothing wrong with iD!).
If one thinks someone is unsuitable for election, then your audience is
the electorate, not the candidate. Address them. If you want to tell us
why (you think) Heather shouldn't be elected, then write an email *to
us*, not to Heather. If you wanna get information out there, then inform
the electorate, don't insult the candidate. A bit more factual comments
than snideness.

Nevertheless, Severin raised some points, which Heather responded to.
That's part of an election. If one wants to continue that topic, write
it to the right audience in the right manner. Criticism in and of itself
isn't bad.

re: Code of Conduct, I'm in favor of this list, and all OSM/OSMF venues
having a strong CoC. But I'm a little confused. CoCs are often used to
ban sexist/racist/etc speech/actions, and I couldn't see anything like
that in Severin's email. (did I miss something?)

Some CoC's require politeness at all times. (Ubuntu CoC). The HOT CoC
covers both politeness & sexism/etc. Is that (politeness) what people on
this thread mean when they talk about a CoC violation?

I can give example, but "politeness at all times" can be bad to have.
The LGBT in Tech slack CoC in good in this regard. I don't think
Serverin's email falls into that type though.

--
Rory